Monday, March 23, 2009

Jed's radiation (1 down - 29 to go....)

19 February 2009


Hi all,

This is gonna be a quick mail as I'm emotionally drained. Once again, I would like to thank you all so much for your beautiful messages of encouragement and hope. Please keep them coming, I have always been such a "closed" person and the love I have been shown during this very difficult time has shown me that people are really beautiful and that you care! It is so special and overwhelming.

Jed was very brave today for his first radiation treatment, in fact he did so much better than his mommy. Before we went in, I grabbed a pair of sissors and I cut my hair as it has always been his comfort and handed it to him on the radiation bed before it started and he looked at me from under the bright yellow mask and said "mama I need your head with the hair" - so my great plan failed! His little tears filled up the mask and he fought the process. The Ben 10 watch was the only way to keep him still, I promised that he could open it as soon as the "scanner treatment" was finished!!! He finally calmed down and the radiation took place. The whole thing must have taken 5 mins but the prep took well over an hour. I spoke to him on the radio through the treatment and I could see his tiny little body laying on the table with the monitor. Kind of felt like I was watching a bad home movie; I actually got a fright when I realised the bad movie was my life and the star was my baby boy!

I remain positive and have had some communication from the states regarding chemo that is working on some of the patients over there. I have forwared the info to my medical team, whom I think I irritate with my nagging .... however, my nagging will continue !!!

Jed is sleeping peacefully now and is still a little drugged - I gave me something to calm him, it actually only worked when we arrived home!

Mom (Funny Gwan), Thelma (Flower aka Soccer Granny) thank you both for the wonderful Ben10 presents, they should keep us going for a few more treatments but mostly thank you for your strength and love. - one down 29 to go! Mom i'm so proud of you, whilst both your children are going through a hectic time, you remain our rock (a bit wobbly but a rock none the less!)

The rest of my family and dear friends, I ask only that you keep praying for Jed and ask God to give us the strength we need to support Jed!

Lots of love
Bonni

No comments:

Post a Comment