Monday, March 23, 2009

Blood test results (ho hum) and some good shopping was done!


21st March 2009


Hi there,

I've had a couple of difficult days emotionally so I apologise for not updating you but I'm back now!

Jed had blood tests on Friday and the doctors couldn't find a vein. His veins are clotting (and invisible);i t took 3 hours and about 4 attempts. Dr Klass looked finished, I'd been crying since 9am and dad (Ray) was the hero who managed to stay calm and remain the strength! I made Ray meet me at Linksfield and he did it without complaining!

I recieved the results today (Saturday morning).

Jed's white blood cell count has dropped to 3000. Chemotherapy kills fast dividing cancer cells. It also ends up killing normal cells in the body, like cells in the bone marrow that maintain the supply of white cells in the blood. It is normal for them to fall temporarily with most chemotherapy drugs. Jed's white cell count is at it's lowest now. The job description for a white blood cell (as I understand it) is to protect the body from infections. When the count drops the risk of infection is increased. It becomes dangerous as the body can't fight as the white cell count is low. I have to now monitor his temperture, check for coughs, loose stools (not an issue as we don't have many of these), boils or abscesses, mouth sores or problems with swollowing.

To avoid the chances of infections we stay home 24/7 and drive each other crazy!!!! We avoid extremes of temperature (no fans, heaters,) and make sure food is well cooked (he doesn't eat so that is never an issue).

If the drop continues the doctors may delay further chemo for a while.

Jed's platelet count is 51 000 this is also very very very low. The normal range for platelet counts is between 150 000 and 450 000 per cubic millimeter. What this means is my little man is very bruised and it seems sore if you even touch him too hard. He has lots of bruises on his butt and hips from bashing himself during playtime. He has no other signs of low platelet counts but we are keeping him indoors and well protected.

If the platelet count does not get better they will do platelet transfusions. Transfused platelets last a few days and must often be repeatedly given. Ray will be the donor of the platelets and Jed's doctor have already done the tests to ensure Jed is ready. The transfusion is direct from dad to son. However, if we stop chemo for a while this may all improve.

Lastly, a special huge thank you to everyone who has donated money towards Jed. May I please ask you to mail me if you donate or use your name as a reference, I would like to say thank you to you personally! We have already received money and we used some of it today. Dad looked after Jed while I went out. (This was good for me!) We got him the special car chair with the protective head pillows, the one we had did not support his neck nicely so his head flops around when he is asleep. This was a huge worry for me as his neck muscles are weakened from surgery. Now I can rest assured he is well protected during the long drives to and from the hospital. This chair was R1499. I then bought his milk/food supplement, pedisure (R1222) for the month (or more), purity fruits, juice and a few bottles.

I have included a picture of how the money was spent, you will also notice a Reggies bag, because people donated money towards the essentials I allowed myself to OVERSPEND a little on the non essentials, I got him 4 play station games, educational games, beads, picture making set, a train made of wood that you build and some puzzles. I felt I wanted to do it to keep him busy so staying home to be fun! Thank you all for allowing me to spoil my son coz you are taking care of the essentials, I promise not to go crazy again! This was just a once off crazy mommy moment that I needed. The rest of the money will be held for medical bills.

Love and hugs
Bon, Ray and Jed x x x

1 comment:

  1. I think it is good to spoil him. He has had to go through so much and he is only a baby.

    ReplyDelete