Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Jed's progress post appendectomy


8th September 2009


Hi there,

Finally home!

Jed is doing well, I actually didn't realise that my son was so strong, he continues to amaze me. Jed is 4 years old and this appendix was his 7th operation (grommets, adenoids and tonsils, dental work, 2 9 hour brain operations, port, appendix with drains) ....my brave and amazing little boy. I admire him more than I have ever thought it possible!!

He is pain free and medication free. Our only concerns at the moment are his appetite as his weight is at 16.8kgs, I can't push or force him to eat as the food will just comes up or out (both sides are giving problems). I'm just giving him teaspoons of supplements and he is holding it down. One sip at a time. He is up and about, walking at a slow pace and today we will attempt a little exercise. Chemo went much better than we believed.

Please pray that he continues to amaze us with his strength and to thank God that Jed is with us. For anyone who does not believe in miracles read up about a burst appendix for over 24 hours; then think about it happening to a child with a white cell count of 1 and a red cell count of 9 that is on chemo - in other words no immune system. His infection marker was over 200 - only prayers and Jesus got that count down!

Also pray that Jed's tummy starts to work as it should. I won't go into too much details but my hands are raw from washing his shorts! A task that is my honour but it would be nice for Jed if this came right soon. He gets very embarrassed.

Vusi the dog is our little bundle of joy and Jed was delighted to see him. We have had to take a few precautions with Vusi but the vet has sorted it all out.... I refuse to take this puppy away from Jed as he now has a best friend to play with.

The list of people to thank is just too long. Granny Barbara for the love and support; Granny Pattern and Socky Gwan; La; Michelle, Wayne and Jordi; Alida (my sakka sak); the folks at Ster who prayed non stop; for Pastors Rameesh and Bokkie who listened to me sob on the phone and prayed with me; for the staff at Unitas; Ray (for all and more); Belinda (Jaryd's mommy); to each person who prayed non stop for Jed and sent messages... and to my little funny balloon mommy for taking care of me while I fell apart.

Jed is a miracle and we have to believe that there is a reason why God and his angels are looking out for him. One day when Jed is a grow up man we can moan at him for all the stress he has laid in our hearts...

I know that I would not be here if it was not for your prayers, love and support - no words left - just keep praying for us please. Watching your son going down fast can physically kill you... I think i almost died of a broken heart!

Special requests for prayers: Reef - bone marrow transplant today, Jaryd (Ewings Sarcoma with an infection marker and low blood counts), Jono (ALL), Darrian (in remission), Rene (blood disorder), Samuel (the little boy from ICU), Connor (AML), Lefa, Erich (Pilomyxoid), Tabs (brain cancer), and all the others..... thank you for supporting, and praying for these precious warriors!

In God we Trust.

Love Bon, Ray, Jed10 and Vusi (the puppy)
Attached is a photo of sleepy mommy, Jed and the "paws for people dog" that visited Jed.

3 comments:

  1. Just checking up again....Glad to hear your little superstar is home. There's no place like home. I pray for his strength and that he may start eating again soon. Bon, I don't know you, but I do know that you are an amazing mom. Try get some rest yourself. Luv Kim xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jed ~ My name is Tracey, I am a school friend of your mommy's, I knew her when she was a crazy teenager. What I remember the most about your mom is her laugh and her cheeky smile. When I look at photos of you I can see the same smile and the same look shining through the picture at me. I am so glad to hear you are home with Mom and Vusi !! Keep fighting for us and we will continue to hold you in our prayers.

    Bon you are an amazing mother, and you have one amazing little man for a son but I dont need to tell you that. Please dont forget to look after yourself, Jed needs you to be strong for him !!! Sending all my love and all my prayers your way Love and hugs Trac xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so lucky to have such a cute dog.Vussi seems to love you .Amazing what pets do for us.Remember that we are still praying for you even if it is countries apart.Lots of love and kisses Leaine,Glenn,Jason and Ashleigh

    ReplyDelete