Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Hypersensitive to Carboplatin

12th April 2010

Hi there,

A quick update from a very emotionally exhausted mom. Yesterday was week 49 of the Vincristine/Carbo protocol for Jed... over the last 3 sessions Jed has started to develop what I thought was an allergic reaction to chemo. After a long, lonely night of cleaning vomit, taking temps and research I now realise that Jed has rejected the Carboplatin (the chemo that is keeping him stable). I'm feeling extremely anxious as the next recommended protocol of Vinblastine has had no success on PMA brain cancer. I contacted 13 mom's through the night and they all confirmed my worst nightmare - with Vinbastine their children experienced growth.

Jed has hypersensitivity to Carbo which can be fatal. Once again, there was no doctor there during the IV transfusion and this was a request I'd made a week prior to coming in for the chemo. (but what the hell do I know?????) Thank God Elize was there and reacted very quickly. The doctor arrived about an hour into Jed's reaction. By this time Jed's heart rate was coming down from 164 and the oxygen (on 5) had brought his saturation up from 80 (thank you GOD for no collapsed lungs) - I'm angry, hurt and upset that once again I faced loosing my son to what I put down to a lack of knowledge and incompetence. I want to be Jed's mom and not his doctor!!!! The recommended protocol as no success so WHY recommend it!

I've e-mail America and I'm waiting to see what the next step will be, will we try Vinblastine and pray knowing each child is different, will we go onto no chemo watch and wait or will I sell my soul and take my son to America for treatment - this is the decisions Raymond and I we are faced with....

Please add me to your prayers as I honestly feel like I'm at breaking point. The ground has been kicked out from under me and I've got no where to turn and not one person medical person is giving me the hope and reassurrance i need so badly.


I'm not answering my phone as I'm simply too busy contacting doctors and getting as much information together as possible - I will not give up on my son!

Bonni

1 comment:

  1. Praying so hard for you Bonni and Ray to be led in the right direction and the best decisions for Jed, hang in there God will lead you on the right path, continue to ask and trust in Him!

    ReplyDelete