Tuesday, August 25, 2009

In the olden days


23rd August 2009


Hi,

I sit here and wonder if in 10 (or 20) years time a mother of a child with cancer will say... "did you know that about 10 years ago mother's gave consent for their children to have chemo" and mother2 would say with horror in her voice "I actually heard about a mother of a 4 year old boy who actually gave the chemo tablets to her son!!!" and the mother1 would reply "could you just imagine how stupid and desperate that mother must have been to give her own child poison!!".... God I pray for a cure... I just don't understand why poison is the only treatment protocol. We send men to the moon, fly across oceans and yet we can't cure cancer! I was reading in my Brain Tumor Mom's Support Group that you are advised to wear gloves and a mask when giving your child oral chemo (this was our first treatment back in Feb) to protect yourself from the toxic chemo. You should also wear gloves and a mask to clean up "chemo" vomit. Well oops...... chemo vomit has been my perfume for months now!

We didn't do chemo this week as Jed's platelet count was only 29. The chemo has suppressed his bone marrow so we will have to wait to see what the counts are next week. I pray they are good as I know that the treatment is essential. His blood counts have not recovered in 3 weeks and this is a huge concern for me.

x x x
Heaven got another angel this past week. Nicole - please pray for this child's parents!
x x x

An update on my little Childhood Cancer Awareness Drive... I have raised a little money so far for the kiddies. I am hoping to give each child a teddy (as seen in the picture). The teddy shirt will read "I wear gold for my hero" Gold being the childhood cancer ribbon. If anyone is interesting in supporting this drive please buy a shirt, cap, badge or teddy. ALL THE PROFITS will go to gifts for the children at Unitas hospital. I'm hoping to raise enough to get each child a teddy and activity toy. If you don't want to purchase anything you can donate a toy. I don't have a separate bank account for this and it is not an official fund raising thing, it is just a small token for these kids. Some of the moms have asked for a shirt so if there is any money left, I will give them a shirt. Many of these moms (like me) no longer work so it would be a nice gesture from us. I think I'm doing this mainly to keep myself focused on something positive - when living in a nightmare you need to keep your eyes on the sunshine. I read in a book (my sister's keeper), "I'm building Sun Castles while waiting for the Tsunami"


This weeks prayer requests:

Reef awaiting Bone Marrow Transplant - Cancer Marker must be below 2% by Wednesday (some of us will be fasting on Tuesday and praying)
Jordan MRI due on the 21st of September 2009 - we also pray that he recovers the use of his legs
Erich - MRI due on Thursday (same tumor as Jed)
Luther and Nicole parents..... angels R.I.P

An our Jeddy - for platelet counts and for NO tumour GROWTH - hec pray for NO TUMOUR AT ALL!!!

And all children and parents affected by cancer.

With love and hugs
Bon, Ray, Jed and Vusi (the puppy)

3 comments:

  1. Little Jed Jason and his friend Tristan are busy playing playstation (batman lego) and they send you their greetings.Jason said he is praying for you still.Would really like to visit one day,maybe next year?Lots of hugs
    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little Jed I think you are the bravest person in the world and that Jesus must be very proud of you .I send my deepset love and a huge hug.Lots and lots of love .I think of you every day and know that the miracle is happening you just need to believe.Take care little Jed we love you

    ReplyDelete